K-1 Visa

A United States citizen may petition to bring his fiancée (K-1) and that person’s children to the United States for marriage.

The K-1 visa is for the fiancée of a U.S. citizen. To submit a petition for the fiancé(e) visa a U.S. citizen (the petitioner) must intend to marry his fiancé(e) within 90 days of his or her entry to the US.

The petition must include the evidence that within 2 years of filing the petition the U.S. citizen met his fiancée in person. There are two exceptions to the meet in person requirement, first, if the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice and second, if the petitioner proves that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to him.