F-1 visa for students which planning to attend university or college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, another academic institution, including a language training program.

Before you can apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate or Change Status to an F student visa, you must first apply to and be accepted by a SEVP approved school.

An F-1 student may be admitted for a period up to 30 days before the indicated report date or program start date listed on Form I-20.

CPT may be granted on a part time basis (no more than 20 hours per week) or a full-time basis (more than 20 hours per week). A student working 20 hours or less for 2 years, or more than 20 hours for 1 year is not eligible for post-completion practical training.

Student cannot accrue more than 90 days of unemployment during OPT.  STEM students cannot accrue more than 120 days unemployment for the 20 months. A student must work at least 20 hours per week to be considered employed. 10 days between the end of one job and the start of a new job will count toward unemployment.

Students who graduate with a qualified Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) degree, and are currently in an approved post-completion OPT period based on a designated STEM degree may apply for a 17-month STEM extension of their post-completion OPT (12 months on OPT plus 17 months extension).

The spouse and minor children accompanying an F-1 student are eligible for admission in F-2 status if the student is admitted in F-1 status.