L-2 Visa

Spouse, who is legally married husband or wife, and unmarried children under the age of 21 years are suitable candidates to apply for the L-2 visa to accompany the L-1 visa.

The peculiarities of this type of visa are:

  1. Children may study without transferring to F-1 visa.
  2. Children also can’t apply for EAD (Employment Authorization Document) and can’t work in the United States.
  3. The duration of the L-2 visa is the same as for the L-1 visa holder.
  4. L-2 visa holders are allowed to travel in and out of the U.S. provided their L2 status and L2 visa stamp remain valid.
  5. Spouse with L2 visa can apply for EAD and get the Social Security Number. L2 visa holder may have any legal job anywhere in the United States. EAD is valid for 2 years and can be renewed if L2 holder remains in the valid L2 status.
  6. L-2 visa holders can change their non-immigrant status to others such as B-1, B-2, H-1, H-4 or even L-1. The changing the L-2 non-immigrant status to H4 is possible only with providing the primary visa holder to H-1.
  7. If you change the status from L-2 visa to H-4 visa the EAD you received on L-2 will be no longer valid. You can’t work once you are on H-4.
  8. L-2 visa holders can apply for adjustment status in the U.S. ir get immigrant visa if the L-1 visa holder applies for the green card.