The nonimmigrant visa provided to athlete/team (P-1A) or entertainment group (P-1B) for temporary job in the U.S.
The applicant should take into consideration:
- A foreign national must be coming to the United States to participate in individual event, competition or performance in which he is internationally recognized with a high level of achievement; evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition substantially above that ordinarily encountered so that the achievement is renowned, leading or well known in more than one country.
- Initial period of stay for an individual athlete equals the time of the event, competition or performance but may not exceed 5 years or one year in case of an athletic group and the essential supporting personnel. Extension of stay for an athletic group is filed in increments of up to one year in order to continue or complete the event, competition or performance.
- The P-1B classification applies to the foreign national to perform as a member of an entertainment group that has been recognized internationally as outstanding in the discipline for a sustained and substantial period of time. At least 75% of the members of the group must have had a substantial and sustained relationship with the group for at least one year.
- Individual entertainers not performing as part of a group are not eligible for this visa classification.
- Alien circus performers and essential circus personnel are exempt the one year requirement and the internationally recognized requirement. The alien or aliens must be coming to join a nationally recognized circus.
- Initial period of stay is limited to the completion of the event, competition or performance, not to exceed one year. Extensions of stay are limited to increments of up to a year.